About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mom of two beautiful girls who happens to be a professionally trained chef. I have dreams of one day publishing a cook book, but in the mean time I want to share this gift I've been given with all of you, so grab a fork (or sometimes a spoon)...because I'm in the kitchen!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Meatballs

Now that I've had the blog up and running 3 whole months, I have people stop and ask me about something specific they want recipes for. Well, I have 2 kids and can barely remember things from yesterday, so I now have a blog memo in my phone where I have a running list of said things. Currently on there are meatballs, how to make a balsalmic glaze and ways to use it, and braised shortribs. Since I haven't put up a post this week (hey, remember I have 2 kids!) I thought I'd take a look and tackle the first one. The others will be coming soon :)

Kristen's Meatballs
1 small onion or half of a large one, diced very small or put in the food processor
3 garlic cloves, minced or put in the food processor
1 egg
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs or 1 slice bread diced very small
3 T ketchup
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley or 1 Tbs dried parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 lb ground turkey, beef or Italian sausage
3 T olive oil
In a large bowl combine the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir. Mix in the meat of choice. Shape into 1 1/2 inch or so meatballs.
Place on a large rimmed baking sheet sprayed and drizzled with the evoo. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until cooked through.

A few notes-
If I use turkey, I buy 93/7 to make these. I have never tried with 99/1 turkey before, but they would be firmer for sure.
With beef, I like to use 90/10 or 93/7.
I have used half beef, half sausage before with great results. It's hard to buy only half a pound of them though, so I just doubled the recipe. I have used bulk sausage and fresh Italian sausage, but removed the casings.
You can double/triple the recipe and freeze them as is or in a sauce. To reheat, I would simmer them in the sauce 10 minutes.
To make clean up a snap, cover the baking sheet with foil so you can just roll up and toss when finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment