About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mom of two beautiful girls who happens to be a professionally trained chef. I have dreams of one day publishing a cook book, but in the mean time I want to share this gift I've been given with all of you, so grab a fork (or sometimes a spoon)...because I'm in the kitchen!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

I recently found a recipe for Unstuffed Bell Pepper Bake that I thoroughly enjoy and have made it several times in the last month. That recipe can be found here. Only change I made was used cooked brown rice. I liked this dinner so much, I wanted to make a real stuffed pepper. I made it vegetarian and my family DID NOT EVEN NOTICE!!!! After I told Israel, he felt cheated, but said he really liked it. In the future, he requested I add some cooked ground beef or shredded chicken, so feel free to do so when you make these. Trust me...you're gonna love them meatless or not!

1 cup canned pinto, black or red beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa (you can buy a 60 second microwaveable cup)
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 medium tomato diced
1 zucchini, diced small
1 yellow squash, diced small
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Chile powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp olive oil
4 bell peppers any color or poblano peppers, seeded and cut in half
1 1/2 cups grated Monterrey jack, cheddar or Colby jack cheese
cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together except the peppers and cheese. This stuffing can be made a day in advance, covered and kept refrigerated.
2. Spray a large roasting pan or 9x13 with cooking spray. Mound a generous 1/2 cup stuffing mixture into each pepper half and place in roasting pan. Whatever is left over, just divide among the pepper cups.
3. Cover with foil and bake 50 minutes. Uncover and top with cheese. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.

this recipe was inspired by one I found in Clean Eating magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment