About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mom of two beautiful girls who happens to be a professionally trained chef. I have dreams of one day publishing a cook book, but in the mean time I want to share this gift I've been given with all of you, so grab a fork (or sometimes a spoon)...because I'm in the kitchen!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sour Cream...how useful you are!

My good friend Melanie asked me for tips on how to use leftover ingredients that just sit in the fridge until they go bad. Sour cream was one she mentioned, so here are some tips I found...

  • my husband, Israel, uses a spoon of it in scrambled eggs instead of milk
  • stir in a tablespoon of brown sugar (or more to your liking) and use as a dip for strawberries, apples or pineapple
  • make a yummy fruit salad with a sour cream-honey dressing like this one
  • thin it with milk and either leave as is or sweeten with honey and spoon on top of blueberries and granola or apples and granola
  • stir a few large spoons into mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower
  • make a dip for raw veggies like this one I found
  • the obvious topping for-baked potatoes, enchiladas, and burrito/tacos
  • my family likes a dollop on chili, potato soup, tomato soup or black bean soup
  • stir a spoon into boxed or homemade mac & cheese for extra tang and creaminess
  • use it on a sandwich instead of mayo, Israel of course, would add a few dashes of hot sauce first :)
  • My friend, Casey stirs some into her chocolate cake mix before baking
  • It's one of the main ingredients in Beef Stroganoff. Try my recipe here
  • Use 1 cup of sour cream in Dorie Greenspan's "Nutty, Chocolaty, Swirly Sour Cream Bundt Cake" Recipe is here. If you like that cake or just like baking in general, buy her cookbook, Baking: From My Home to Yours. It's one of my stand-bys in the kitchen. The cover is beautiful and I have loved everything I've baked from it (Thanks Josh and Angela for the great gift, I still use it all the time). Dorie Greenspan also has a blog worth checking out.
Do you have a kitchen question or wanting a specific recipe? Email me or leave a comment and I would love to help you out!

BTW dinner last night was a chicken and wild rice casserole topped with sliced almonds. Tonight, dinner is green chicken enchiladas. What are you making for dinner tonight?

Feel free to share my blog :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment