About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mom of two beautiful girls who happens to be a professionally trained chef. I have dreams of one day publishing a cook book, but in the mean time I want to share this gift I've been given with all of you, so grab a fork (or sometimes a spoon)...because I'm in the kitchen!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Disappointment to Oh So Delicious

A few posts ago, I had researched replacing some of the sugar in baking recipes with honey or agave nectar. I was very anxious to try honey in my chocolate chip cookie recipe, so Saturday I tried it. Major disappointment. Major. Instead of the sumptuously soft inside with a slightly crisp outside, the texture turned out cakey, almost mushy. Okay for cake, but not what I'm craving when I want a good cookie. For 2 days I looked at those cookies wondering what on Earth I was going to do with them. Israel wouldn't even take them to the office! He said, "do you want people to think your cookies are like that?" HA! He was right.

So, I thought about a cookbook at Target I came across that was entirely about making cake pops. You mix together cake crumbs and icing, form into balls, dip them in chocolate or thinned icing and stab with a stick. Viola! Cake pops. I didn't have cake, but the cookies were so cakey, I thought it might work. What do you know...it did...and was delicious.

I didn't have sticks, so I'm calling them truffles :)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Truffles
1 lb chocolate chip cookies
3 oz softened cream cheese
1 cup semi-sweet, dark or milk chocolate chips (I buy Guittard brand)
3/4 Tbs canola oil
1/3 cup powdered sugar (optional for coating)
1/3 cup cocoa powder (optional for coating)

1. In a food processor, process cookies until crumbs form. You could also throw them in a large Ziploc and mash with a rolling pin. Transfer crumbs to a medium size mixing bowl.
2. Using a paddle attachment or hand held mixer, mix crumbs and cream cheese on medium speed until incorporated together. Mixture should hold together when you pinch it between your fingers.
3. Using your hands, form crumb mixture into 1 inch balls. I use a small ice cream scoop to make them all the same size and then roll in my palms to smooth the surface. Place on a wax covered cookie sheet or pan and refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine chocolate chips and canola oil. Microwave 1:30 minutes on 50% power. Stir. Microwave in 30 seconds spurts on 50% power until all chips are melted. Get out cookie balls.
5. Using a fork, dip each ball, one at a time, in chocolate until coated. Lift out with the fork and place back on wax paper. Dip until your done. For variation, leave some undipped. Roll them in powdered sugar or cocoa powder instead.

I'm thinking this would work well with all cookies; Peanut Butter, Sugar, Chocolate with White Chips, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut, store bought chocolate chip cookies and even Oreos. Experiment and leave me a comment on what you tried!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, Kristen! Sounds Dee-Lish!
    Not too long ago I made cake balls but I was under a time crunch...so I read a comment that had been posted on Pioneer Woman. It suggested using sweetened condensed milk in place of the frosting in the cake balls!
    Worked like a charm; however, how can you go wrong with a homemade buttercream frosting when you've got the time?! ~Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replace some of the sugar with agave nectar and they will be good i have a recipe that is really good

    ReplyDelete