About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mom of two beautiful girls who happens to be a professionally trained chef. I have dreams of one day publishing a cook book, but in the mean time I want to share this gift I've been given with all of you, so grab a fork (or sometimes a spoon)...because I'm in the kitchen!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

what to do with...Papaya

Papaya is on my brain this week for a few reasons...the first being it is the next fruit I am introducing to Jordan. It is one of a handful of fruits you can give to babies without being cooked. I plan to puree in the blender and freeze in ice cube trays.

Papayas are in season June through September, but you can find them in the grocery store year round. The fruit is ripe when it feels soft (like a ripe avocado or a bit softer) and its skin has attained an orange or amber hue. The black seeds are edible and have a sharp, spicy taste. They are sometimes dried and ground to use as a substitute for black pepper. You can keep them just as they are to garnish a salad as well for a little crunch and pepper kick.

The second reason they are on my mind is because its summer and they are delicious!! In my house, I usually cut it up like cantaloupe, squeeze a lime over top, and eat.

Here are some recipes I have found as ways to use it in your kitchen...

Avocado and Papaya Salad

Papaya-Banana Smoothie

Avocado and Papaya Salsa  Use this on top of any grilled chicken, fish or pork. It would be especially good on top of fish tacos.

2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 ripe papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
1 serrano or jalapeno chile, finely diced (you can use more chiles if you want it spicier)
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Combine avocados, papaya, onion, chile, lime juice, oil, honey and salt and pepper, to taste, in a medium serving bowl. Stir in the cilantro until combined and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment